SAAP VI and PPS 16 Biennial Conference 2018
December 13th – 15th, 2018
Theme: Enhancing Academic and Research Collaboration in South Asia
- To share updated Molecular, Clinical & Basic research in Physiology among SAARC countries.
- To enhance research collaboration among South Asian Physiologists.
- To study the Physiological parameters in healthy population of South Asia.
- To discuss common issues of South Asian Physiologists related to teaching & learning, assessment, curriculum and evaluation.
University College of Medicine & Dentistry (UCM&D), The University of Lahore (UoL),
1-km, Defence Road (Off Raiwind Road), Bhobatian Chowk, Lahore-Pakistan
Scientific Program December 13th – 14th, 2018
DAY 1: Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018
8:15 – 9:00 Registration in Admission Office, UoL Lahore
9:00 – 10:20 Inauguration Session (Auditorium of Masjid basement / (Lecture Hall 3), UoL
9:00 – 9:05 Tilawat-e-Quran
9:05 – 9:15 Welcome Address, Prof. Dr. Shahid Malik, Patron SAAP VI & Pro-Rector UoL
9:15 – 9:25 Inaugural Address, Chairman, Higher Education Commission, Pakistan
9:25 – 9:30 Flag Holding Ceremony: Organizing Secretary SAAP VI, Organizing Secretary PPS 16, President SAAP, President PPS
9:30 – 9:40 Keynote lecture: SAAP: The Way Forward, Prof. Dr. Arif Siddiqui Chairman, SAAP VI
l9:40 – 9:50 Video on Life of Prof. M. H. Qazi, a legendary Professor of Physiology
9:50 – 10:00 Keynote Lecture: “South Asian Health Care System, Challenges & Prospects” Prof. Gen (Retd) Mohammad Aslam, Pro-VC NUMS
10:00 – 10:10 Keynote Lecture: “Environmental pollution, Human reproduction and physiologists” Prof. Dr. Sharaine Fernando, Department of Physiology, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
10:20 – 10:35 Tea / Coffee Break
10:35 – 12:30 Plenary Sessions I & II (Parallel)
Plenary Session I (Cell Biology / Genetics)
10:35 – 10:50 Plenary Lecture 1: “Obesity- In retrospect and prospect” Prof. Dr. M. Arslan, Director IMBB, UoL, Lahore, Pakistan
10:50-11:00 Plenary Lecture 2: “Unraveling genetics of obesity- lessons from a Pakistani consanguineous population” Dr. Sadia Saeed, University of Lille, Lille, France
11:00– 11:10 Plenary Lecture 3: “Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) reveal novel colorectal cancer genes expressed by immune cells”Prof. Dr. Aamer Qazi, IMBB, UoL, Lahore
11:15 – 12:30 (5 Oral Presentations of 10 min each followed by 5 min. Q&A)
- “Evaluation of natural killer cell cytotoxicity by flow cytometry” Fareena Bilwani, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University Karachi.
- “Effect of endurance exercise on the oxidative stress marker malondialdehyde in type 2 diabetic mice” Sana Akram, Akhtar Saeed Medical College Lahore.
- “Neuroplin-1 Over-expression in Mesenchymal Stem Cells Resulted in Improved Cardiac Function in Rat Model of Myocardial Infarction” Anwar Ali, Department of Physiology, University of Karachi.
- “The Dauntless D: Association between VDR-ECORV gene polymorphism and periodontitis” Taseer Ahmed Khan, Department of Physiology, University of Karachi.
- “Ginsenoside Rg3 treatment inhibits cells growth and metastasis of non-small cell lung cancer in nude mice model of lung cancer” Muhammad Noman Khan, Department of Physiology, University of Karachi.
Plenary Session II (Cardio-respiratory Physiology)
10:35 – 10:50 Plenary Lecture 1:“Oxygen sensing protein expression in preeclampsia” Prof. Kusal Das, Shri B.M. Patel Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, BLDE University, Vijayapur, Karnataka, India
10:50 – 11:05 Plenary Lecture 2:“The life history of atheroma of a coronary artery tree” Prof. H R Ahmed, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi
11:05 – 12:30 Oral Presentations (6 presentations of 10 min. each followed by 5 min. Q & A)
- “Clinical application of a basic science concept: The making of an Instrument” Dr. Satwat Hashmi, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University Karachi.
- “Establishing Spirometry Reference Ranges for Children?Adolescents of Karachi, Pakistan” Dr. Sara Sadiq, Zia-ud-Din University Karachi.
- “Charcoal Grilling: Is it as good for lungs as it is in taste?” Dr. Ambreen Tauseef, CMH Lahore Medical College & amp, Institute of Dentistry, Lahore.
- “Relative Risk Estimation of T wave Alternans and Ventricular Late Potentials in patients with cardiomyopathy” Dr. Hira Ashraf,Department of Physiology, Foundation University Medical College Islamabad.
- “Role of T-Lymphocyte depletion using fingolimod in Ischemia reperfusion injury related to myocardial revascularization” Dr. Naseer Ahmed, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences Aga Khan University Karachi.
- “Correlation of Signal Averaged ECG Parameters with Arterial Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Patients” Dr. Bushra Riaz, Sahiwal Medical College.
12:30 – 13:15 Poster Evaluation
13:15 – 14:00Prayer & Lunch break
14:00-15:30 Plenary Sessions III & IV (Parallel)
Plenary Session III-A (GI system)
14:00 – 14:15 Plenary Lecture “Renoprotective effect of nano phytocompounds and functional foods” Prof. Dr. Dilip Nandi, Department of Human Physiology, Nutrition & Microbiology, Raja N.L.Khan Women’s College Midnapore, India.
14:20 – 16:00 Oral Presentations (5 presentations of 10 min. each followed by 5 min Q & A)
- “Gastroprotective Effect of Ghrelin: A Study of Mechanism” Zainab Farooq, Department of Physiology, Foundation University Medical College, Islamabad.
- “Evaluation of diet and oral health among dentate, edentulous and complete denture wearers” Syed Hamid Habib, Khyber Medical University, Peshawar.
- “Study on relationship between lead levels in human blood, environmental dust and ground water and associated demographic characteristics`”Fahmida Memon,Department of Physiology University of Sindh Jamshoro.
- “Hepatoprotective effect of Sea Buckthorn berry seed Oil (SBO) in cyclophosphamide-induced hepatic toxicity in BALB/c mice” Gule Naghma Saeed,Foundation University Medical College, Islamabad.
- “Platelet Count to Spleen Diameter Ratio: A non-invasive predictor of High Risk Esophageal Varices” Dr. Muhammad Umar, Rawalpindi Medical University.
Plenary Session III-B (Musculo-Skeletal /Special Senses, Renal & Others)
14:00 – 14:15 Plenary Lecture: “Osmoregulation: A Mysterious Human Behavior”Prof. Dr. Brig. Saadat Ali Khan, Shahida Islam Medical College Lodhran.
14:20 – 16:30 Oral Presentations (6 for 10 min each followed by 5 min Q & A)
- “Association of executive functions and levels of stress among adolescents in Colombo District Sri Lanka” LS Kaththiriarachchi , Division of Physiology, Department of preclinical sciences, Faculty of Medicine, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University, Rathmalana, Sri Lanka.
- “Messenger-RNA Expression changes in the Skeletal Muscle after 16 weeks of Aerobic Exercise” Irum Hayat, Quaid-e-Azam Medical College Bahawalpur.
- “Association between myopia and digit ratio in medical students of FJMU” Shazo Sana, Fatima Jinnah Medical University Lahore.
- “Association of Renal Artery Resistive Index with Serum Uric Acid in Pregnancy Induced Hypertension” Kevin Joseph Jerome Borges,Zia-ud-Din University Karachi.
- “Association of N-Terminal Propeptide of Type I Collagen with Bone Mineral Density” Afshan Iftikhar,Physiology Department, Zia-ud-Din University Karachi.
- “Cardiovascular effects of aqueous-methanolic extract of Salvia Officinalis in experimental animals” Hasan Salman Siddiqi, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi.
Plenary Session IV (Neurosciences)
14:00 – 14:15 Plenary Lecture 1: “Role of Neuropeptide and Steroids in Regulation of Social Behavior” Prof. Sunil Dhungel, Department of Clinical Physiology College of Medicine, Nepalese Army institute of health sciences, Bhandarkhal, Kathmandu, Nepal.
14:15 – 14:30 Plenary Lecture 2: “Role of Neurotransmitters in Nervous System” Dr. Hamid Javaid Qureshi, Dr. Akhtar Saeed Medical & Dental College Lahore.
14:30 – 15:00 Plenary Lecture 3: “Unravelling mysteries of metal exposures on brain function” Dr. Touqeer Ahmed, National University of Science & Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan.
15:00 – 16:30 Oral Presentations (4 for 10 min each followed by 5 min Q & A)
- “Comparison of Salivary Alpha-Amylase Levels in Schizophrenics and Normal Individual”Dr. Haseeb Ahmed Khan, CMH Lahore Medical & Dental College.
- Assessment of spinal cord function through an electrophysiological approach in a cervical spinal cord injury modelDr. Syed Hamid Habib, Physiology Department, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Khyber Medical University, Peshawar.
- “Long-Term Rap1A GTPase Deficiency Enhances Recognition Memory, Spatial Memory and Serotonin Turnover in the Hippocampus”Hina Hazrat, University of Karachi, Karachi.
- “Comparison of Salivary Cortisol Levels in Normal and Severely Depressed Patients”
Dr. Qudsia Khan, Department of Physiology, CMH Lahore Medical College Lahore
16:30 – 16:45 Tea / Coffee Break
16:45 – 18:00 SAAP General Body Meeting
19:30 – 22:30 Gala Dinner with Role Play on Physiological mechanisms followed by Cultural Show.
DAY 2: Friday December 14, 2018
9:00 – 10:40 Plenary Sessions V & VI (Parallel)
Plenary Session V (Endocrine/Reproduction)
9:00 – 9:15 Plenary Lecture 1: “Goitrogenic/anti thyroidal potential of commonly consumed Indian cyanogenic plant foods”Prof. Dr. Amar K Chandra, Department of Physiology University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India.
9:15 – 9:30 Plenary Lecture 2: “Translational genomics of early-onset non-autoimmune diabetes towards diabetes precision medicine” Dr. Martin Vallixaire,Research Director at Pasteur Institute of Lille and CNRS 8199, European Genomics Institute of Diabetes (EGID), Lille, France.
9:30 – 10:45 Oral Presentations (5 presentations followed by 5 min Q & A)
- “Association of Oxidative Stress with Female Infertility” Dr. Rehana Rehman Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University.
- “Essential Fatty Acids and Vitamin D in a group of eczematous children” Dr. Humera Usman,Department of Biochemistry, Shalamar Medical and Dental College Lahore.
- “Effects of L-Carnitine in Restoration of Pancreatic Β Cell Physiology in Alloxan Induced Diabetic Albino Wistar Rats” Dr. Rizwan Ali Talpur, Isra University, Hyderabad.
- “Effect of serum cortisol on daytime sleepiness of young adults” Dr. Jawaria Muhammad,M. Islam Medical and Dental College Aimanabad.
- “Molecular Basis of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Metabolic Syndrome in a South Asian Population” Dr. Syeda Sadia Fatima, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University.
Plenary Session VI A, Medical Education: Curriculum Development
9:00 – 9:15 Plenary Lecture 1: “Learning through Assessment; Is it the only approach? Prof. Dr. Rehan Ahmed Khan, Riphah International University, Rawalpindi
9:15 – 9:30 Plenary Lecture 2: “Formal Mentoring Program of Undergraduate Students, Sharing The Experience”Dr. Mahwish Arooj, Department of Physiology, UCMD, University of Lahore.
9:45 – 10:40 (5 Oral Presentations of 10 min. each followed by 5 min Q & A)
- “Role of Attendance in Academic Performance of Male and Female Medical Students: A Descriptive study” Dr. Mohsin Cheema, Department of Physiology, FMH College of Medicine and Dentistry, Shadman, Lahore, Pakistan.
- “Perception of Clinical Year Students of MBBS Regarding the Learning Environment of a Private Medical College, Punjab, Pakistan” Dr. Aneeqa Rashid,Hitec IMS, Taxila.
- “Octopus Skill Model of a medical professional: A focus group discussion” Dr. Qanita Mahmood, Department of Physiology, University of Lahore.
- “Imposter Syndrome among medical students: a myth or reality” Dr. Ambreen Khalid, Physiology Department, Shalamar Medical & Dental College, Lahore.
- “Knowledge and Attitude of Post Graduate Trainees towards Learning Communication Skills” Dr. Saqib Javed, Post graduate Medical Institute, Lahore.
Plenary Session VI B Medical Education:Teaching, Learning and Research
9:00 – 9:15 Plenary Lecture 1: “Self-directed learning” Prof. Dr. Alamgir Khan, Army Medical College, Rawalpindi.
9:15 – 9:30 Plenary Lecture 2: “Translational Physiology Research, Clinical Practice and Public Health: A Continuum” Prof. Dr. Umar Ali Khan, Al Nafees Medical College and Hospital, Islamabad.
9:35 – 10:45 (4 Oral Presentations of 10 min. each followed by 5 min Q & A)
- “Flipped Learning Faculty Training: Empowering Teachers with Technology” Dr. Syeda Sadia Fatima, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University.
- “Impact of teaching methodology and live tissue experiments on medical learning”Dr. Maheen Qutab, Deptt of Medical Education, Al-Aleem Medical College (Gulab-Devi) Lahore.
- “Outreach model to promote Basic Life Support through medical student trainers”Dr. Sadia Ahsin, Department of Physiology, Foundation University Islamabad.
- “Preparation of a mini lesson by BOPPPS” Dr. Rehana Rehman, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University.
10:45 – 11:00: Tea / coffee break
11:00 – 12:00 Panel Discussion on Experimental Physiology
Panel Discussion on Experimental Physiology moderated by Dr. Qasim Janjua
Prof. Dr. Col. Muhammad Idrees, Islamabad
Dr. Sharaine Fernando, Colombo
Prof. Dr. Arif Malik, Lahore
Prof. Dr. Ruhul Amin, Dhaka
Prof. Dr. Rashid Mehmood, Peshawar
Prof. Dr. Amar K. Chandra, India
Prof. Dr. Abdul Azeem, Karachi
Prof. Dr. Rita Khadka, Dharan, Nepal
Concluding remarks: Prof. Dr. Samina Malik
12:00 – 13:15 PPS General Body Meeting
12:00 – 13:15 Poster Judgment
13:15 – 14:15 Jumma Prayer & Lunch break
14:15 – 15:45 Closing Ceremony SAAP VI & PPS 16
Recommendations from the Teaching Workshops by Prof. Dr. Kusal Das, India
Vote of Thanks by Organizing Secretary, Prof. Dr. Samina Malik on behalf of organizing committee SAAP VI & PPS 16.
Awards Distribution for Best Oral & Best Poster Presentation (Under-graduate/Post-graduate & Faculty) by Mr. Avais Raoof, Chairman BOG, UoL, Lahore.
15:45 – 16:00 Tea / Coffee
*City Tour (optional)
*Poster sessions will run parallel and will remain on display all through the day; all presenters will be advised to be available for Evaluation by the Evaluators at prescribed time
DAY 3: Saturday 15 DEC 2018
City Tour 10:00 – 16:00